Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Real world.

At the moment I'm doing a week of unpaid work experience at the local newspaper in my hometown.
It's been going pretty well so far! They've actually given me a lot to do which is nice. I thought I'd just be doing the coffee run/following people around! I've been doing phone interviews and lots of vox pops (voice of the people), which means lots of talking to people I don't know. I've also had to make lots of calls and book photographs in for certain jobs. I get to use their pretty Nikon camera when I go about the streets asking people at random certain questions of the day. It's surprising how many people don't want their picture to be in the paper! Today I interviewed a lady who has just turned 100! Amazing :)
They've given me the usual 'community' focused stories. For example I've written about the local CWA twice this week (including the lady whose fruit cake came first haha!). But I've also done a couple of 'harder' news stories like the YMCA youth parliament that's happening at the moment.
I'm pretty proud of myself. Today the editor in chief gave me a big wrap and many compliments which boosted my confidence a lot. This is a pretty great achievement for me. I usually don't deal with new situations very well (especially ones where I am put out of my comfort zone). So far four of my little articles have been published and I hope to have a nice collection by the end of the week.
I'm not used to the 9 til 5 business though (especially when it's unpaid). However, it's a great experience and will look pretty and shiny on my resume!
Life in the news room at this paper is pretty vibrant and alive. I can only imagine what it's like at the bigger papers. Those phones mustn't stop (considering ours pretty much don't either).
I will leave you with a totally unrelated picture of myself, taken by my brother, which I used for my 21st invitations earlier this year.

2 comments:

laura said...

I love that it's going so well for you hanny :) It sounds fantastic - It must be great to see your articles published!

I also love that you're writing on your blog again :-DD

Ali said...

sounds like you're enjoying yourself!
I worked at my local paper in year 10 for a week and... there's not a lot of news in that town. glad it's going well for you!