Thursday, January 22, 2009

Summer Reads

















Peek-a-boo.

What I am/have been reading this summer:

1. Marley and Me by John Grogan. Side note: I started reading this before I went to Japan after recommendation from my Dad. Unbeknownst to me it had been made into a film starring Jennifer Anniston and Owen Wilson and is currently screening. Marley is a playful mischevious labrador. Ironically, while in Japan staying with my host family, I left the book in my room on a day spent out and about in Tokyo. Upon return, I found a nasty surprise in my room, as the family's three dogs (including two Huskys and one Golden Retriver) had made their way into my room and kindly piddled on the floor as well as a few of my things including the book - Marley and Me. How very ironic that these dogs had been so michevious and damaged a book about a mischevious dog. I am yet to bring myself to keep reading it however .. um.. dry it may be.

2. Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer. Side note: After the incident with the dog pee, my host family were naturally mortified and wanted to replace the book. Although we couldn't find Marley and Me in the Japanese book stores, they insisted I find something else to my liking. I chose Into the Wild after being so impressed by the movie. I am yet to finish this as well.

3. Change of Heart by Jodi Picoult. Side note: absolutely wonderful and intriguing as all of her work is!

4. Riding the Bus with my Sister by Rachel Simon. Side note: This book undertook quite an adventure to find it's way into my hands. My Mum read it first and loved it so much that she wanted to buy me a copy for Christmas. She couldn't get her hands on it in Australia for one reason or another but found that it could be purchased in America. She convinced a cousin of hers residing in Chicago to buy three copies, as she loved it so much, and have them sent to Australia. I really really enjoyed this book. It follows Beth and her sister Rachel, both grown adults. Beth is mentally disabled and has found a liking for riding the city buses every day. One year, Rachel decides to join her sister and ride the buses with her. There are so many warm anecdotes and stories within this novel, especially as each bus driver and character is introduced.

5. Diary of an Ordinary Woman by Margaret Forster. Side note: I put this on my birthday wish-list after recommendation from my friend Mindy. My lovely boyfriend snapped it up for me :) .I loved it just as much as she and it got me thinking about how such supposed ordinary lives really can become quite extraordinary and how our 'mundane tasks' can seem totally different in the eyes of a spectator.

6. Twilight and New Moon by Stephanie Meyer. Side note: Yes, I have jumped on the Twilight bandwagon after seeing the movie a couple of days ago. I know most Twilight fans would shreik at the thought me reading the books after seeing the movie first, but what the heck. I fell in love with Edward just like everyone else and had some birthday vouchers to spend so thought, why not?

7. The Pact and Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult. Side note: I spent more of my birthday vouchers on these two. I am excited to read them as I love all of Miss Picoult's work that I have read so far and these two have been reccommended to me a number of times.

How good is it to have nothing to do but read? Bliss :)

3 comments:

Chloe said...

Twilight movie before reading the book as well. I think it's good because you aren't disappointed by the movie when you have nothing to compare it to.

Hannah Lewis said...

yeah that's very true. like, at least you already have a mental image of the characters in your head and can't be disappointed if you've already created one before seeing it. okay, i pretty much just said exactly what you said haha..

Mindy said...

I am so glad you like diary of an ordinary woman! I feel proud for recommending it :). So jealous you have gotten so much reading time in. Can I also recommend Scar Tissue- very good indeed my love